- Do you have a strong technical background in Geoscience Data Analytics?
- Use your expertise and contribute to projects in subsurface data analytics
- Join CSIRO - Australia’s premier science & technology research organisation
CSIRO Energy is seeking a talented Data Scientist to take an important role in our team of Geoscience Data Analytics.
In this role you will contribute to projects in subsurface data analytics by developing data-driven solutions and big data computational science applications in Energy, and the resources sector more generally, which involves the development of multi-disciplinary capabilities. A strong technical background in time series and image processing and analysis, statistical analysis, machine learning and artificial intelligence is preferred.
Your duties/responsibilities will include:
- Proactively investigate and incorporate novel and effective approaches to geoscience data analytics by adapting and/or developing original concepts and ideas for new, existing and further research.
- Develop tools and workflows for analysis and quantitative interpretation of subsurface petrophysical and geophysical data used in oil and gas exploration employing advanced statistical methods, artificial intelligence and machine learning for:
- Selecting features from geological, petrophysical, geophysical and seismic datasets ;
- Building and optimizing classifiers and predictors of rock properties from well data;
- Downscaling and upscaling rock properties in petroleum basins;
- Geoscience data integration.
- Develop proof-of-concept case studies to support/enable utilization of subsurface data analytics solutions
Location: Perth WA
Salary: $95K - $103K plus up to 15.4% superannuation
Tenure: 3 year term appointment
To be successful you will need:
- A doctorate and or equivalent research experience in a relevant discipline area, such as mathematics, physics, engineering or computer and information sciences
- Experience in analysing datasets to categorize, quantify and model properties of physical systems using data-driven approaches.
- Knowledge of machine learning and artificial intelligence techniques for pattern recognition and prediction (e.g., deep learning, bayesian neural networks, random forests, boosted decision trees etc).
Before you apply please view the full position description and selection criteria here: Position description
Who we are: The Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation (CSIRO)
CSIRO Energy aims to deliver by 2020 technology options and science that will enhance Australia’s economic competitiveness and regional energy security while enabling the transition to a lower emissions energy future.
We imagine. We collaborate. We innovate. At CSIRO, we do the extraordinary every day. We innovate for tomorrow and help improve today - for our customers, all Australians and the world. We do this by using science and technology to solve real issues. Diversity is the compass that navigates our innovation. We provide an inclusive workplace that respects, values and actively pursues the benefits of a diverse workforce.
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work. Talk to us about how this role could be flexible for you. Find out more Balance
How to Apply: If you wish to apply for this position, please load your CV (Maximum 2MB) via our website at https://jobs.csiro.au/. You may also be required to respond to some screening questions.
Applications Close: 11:59pm AEST, 29 March 2018